The Musical Director teaches the vocal music for an ECCT musical production. This person should have a background or experience in teaching vocal music. It is helpful if this person has basic piano skills, but it’s not necessary.
Rehearsals for musicals generally start 6-8 weeks before a performance and are held at ECCT. Rehearsals are either 5:30pm-7pm or 7pm-9:30pm, Monday through Thursday evenings. The musical director is most needed for the first two or three weeks of rehearsals and then may stop in periodically to brush up musical trouble spots.
The Musical Director:
• Leads vocal warm-ups to start rehearsals
• Teaches all vocal music-Leads small groups and large chorus numbers
• Assigns singers to parts and assigns small solos
• Provides vocal coaching to the leads
• Attends rehearsals and gives music notes to the cast
• May play piano during vocal music rehearsals if qualified
A terrible thing happened to Junie B.: someone took her new black furry mittens! So when she finds a wonderful pen, she should be allowed to keep it, right? See this modern classic on stage September 29-30 and October 1, 7-8 at The Oxford.